BLACK GIRLS LEAD (BGL) is an international leadership conference for girls. The mission is to offer girls tools and resources to become lead, innovate, and serve confidently. The deadline for application submissions is Friday May, 20, 2016!
- BLACK GIRLS LEAD is a four day leadership conference for girls, which will take place in New York City from July 28-31st.
- Conference applications are due May 20, 2016 by 11:59PM.
- Notifications regarding conference acceptance will go out by the evening of June 20, 2016.
- BLACK GIRLS LEAD is a day conference. However we have limited housing available for participants who are traveling from regions outside of the New York Tri-state area (international participants are welcome). Participants who are staying on campus must arrive + check-in on 7/27/16.
- International participants or attendees who are traveling from outside of the New York metropolitan area, have the option to apply for campus housing.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Where do I go to apply for the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference?
You may apply for the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference online. Please visit www.blackgirlsrock.org/black-girls-lead or click here.
Is there a PDF version of the application?
All applications must be completed online! However, you may use this PDF version of the application to outline and draft the answers to your application questions.
What is the age eligibility to participate in the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference?
Eligible participants are girls between ages 13-17 who are currently enrolled in grades 8–12 (public, private, parochial, home school, etc.). Graduating seniors, in the class of 2016, are not eligible to apply. Collegiate students are not eligible to apply.
Is there an application fee?
No. There is not an application fee.
When will participants be notified?
Participants will be notified via e-mail by the end of night June 20, 2016.
Where and when will the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference be hosted?
The BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference will be held in New York City from July 28-31st.
Is BLACK GIRLS LEAD an overnight conference?
No. This is a day conference. However, we do have LIMITED campus housing options available for participants who are traveling from regions outside of the New York metropolitan area (including participants who are traveling from outside of the country). Priority for campus housing will given to participants traveling from the further distances (i.e. west coast, midwest, southern, and international travelers).
Do you provide housing for parents, guardians, group leaders, etc?
No. We do not provide housing for parents, guardians, group leaders, or other adults who are traveling with program participants. However we can suggest alternative housing options that are nearby. Please visit the following link to see hotels that are suggested by our host site: http://www.columbia.edu/node/4613.html.
Will there be supervision for the BLACK GIRLS LEAD conference participants throughout the day?
Yes. The conference site is managed by qualified BGL staff. All members of the BGL staff are screened and trained to provide quality care for admitted BGL Conference participants. In addition to campus security, BLACK GIRLS LEAD staff and counselors are onsite 24/7. There are also resident hall advisors assigned to supervise students who are housed on campus.
Are parents permitted to attend the conference?
No. Parents are not permitted to attend the conference. The conference is for admitted participants only. In the interest of safety for all conference attendees, parents/guardians are asked to escort their children to and from the BGL registration site daily. Parents/guardians must sign their children in and out of the conference each day. A conference staff person will be available between 8:00am and 8:30am to greet your family as you sign your child in. We strongly encourage you to drop-off no later than 8:30am and pick up no later than 6:00pm unless otherwise advised. Once the day’s activities have begun, the conference participants and BGL staff will be located throughout Barnard College and may not be readily available for sign-in. Conference attendees are not permitted to leave BGL Conference with anyone, but their parents/guardian, unless the office has written notice on file granting permission.
Is there a graduation or final ceremony that families may attend?
Yes. There is a culminating ceremony. Parents and family members will be invited to attend this event which celebrates the completion of the BLACK GIRLS LEAD conference.
What programs and activities are offered at the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference?
The action-packed forward-thinking BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference features workshops, master classes, lectures and empowerment panels on media and cultural literacy, business, entrepreneurship, arts, social action, technology, financial literacy, and more. The conference will educate, affirm, support and empower girls who desire to become trailblazers of our future.
A brief overview of the BLACK GIRLS LEAD curricular modules:
- Art-based enrichment programs
- Cultural immersion
- Critical media literacy courses
- Technology and innovation workshop
- Academic enrichment + college prep
- Leadership development initiatives
- Sisterhood + team building activities
- Life Skills training + empowerment panels
How many participants will be selected to attend the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference?
Approximately 50 participants will be selected for the inaugural BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference in New York City.
I am experiencing technical difficulties while filling out the online application via formstack. Who should I contact to get support?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a PDF version of the BLACK GIRLS LEAD application, which you may submit via email at email@example.com. Please place in the subject line: BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference Application Request.
I am having difficulties uploading my video blog. Who should I contact to get support?
If you are experiencing technical difficulties uploading video blog to the application form, please upload your video to youtube/vimeo. Then, place the link (and password if applicable) into a word document. Finally, upload the word document in the video’s place.
If you continue to have difficulty, please notify the BGL team and plan to submit your application via ground mail or e-mail in entirety. If you elect to e-mail your application, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I apply to be a counselor/intern at the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference?
BLACK GIRLS LEAD counselors and interns must meet the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled in college or graduate school
- 21 to 30 years old
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Successfully pass a background check
- Be or become certified in first aid and adult CPR
- Submit all application materials by June 20, 2016
- Complete the full intern/volunteer application.
- To apply for the counselor position: Complete the BLACK GIRLS ROCK intern/volunteer application and submit it by June 20, 2016 with your cover letter and resume. Also submit a video blog outlining your professional qualifications and what you hope to contribute to and/or gain from working with the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference.
What is the role of the Counselor?
The main role of a counselor is to support the BLACK GIRLS LEAD conference participants, staff, instructors, and guest speakers. Counselors and staff work together to assure that the conference runs smoothly and participants benefit from a dynamic, rigorous, fun, and safe environment.
If you have any more questions please send us an email at email@example.com.